Diversity and Inclusion
Bankers Trust has a longstanding and ongoing commitment to fostering an inclusive culture and community. Diversity at Bankers Trust is more than facts and figures and a list of activities. Our story of inclusion is made up of hundreds of individual stories of team members who represent the diverse communities we serve. In fact, diversity is one of the bank’s five core values. The value states:
Bankers Trust Core Value: Diversity
Bankers Trust respects, recognizes and celebrates the strength of its diversity and considers it one of our greatest assets. Bankers Trust embraces and honors the different cultures and backgrounds of its clients, employees and our community.
We know “diversity and inclusion” covers a wide range of the qualities that make us different – background, ability, ethnicity, religious affiliation, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, and many more. We understand that diverse teams outperform others when it comes to breakthrough thinking, innovation and creativity.
Our team members, customers and communities help us strive to constantly do more as it relates to inclusion. Some of our efforts include:
- We listen to customers and provide solutions in 19 languages. This is a result of our effort to hire employees who mirror the communities they serve.
- The bank’s Diversity and Inclusion Committee offers annual training to teach and address many areas of inclusion.
- Our CEO and President Don Coffin has taken the CEO pledge by CEO Action for Diversity and Inclusion, which outlines a set of actions CEOs and their companies will take to cultivate an inclusive work environment.
- Our Next Gen Committee engages younger team members and shines a light on the value of generational diversity.
- The EmpowHER women’s affinity group is aimed at addressing and encouraging female representation at all levels of Bankers Trust, with a focus on leadership.
“Near the entrance of every Bankers Trust branch is a small sign listing the languages spoken by employees in that location. I am very proud of those little signs – and the total of 19 languages they highlight. They show that Bankers Trust is a melting pot – just like the communities we serve. Many banks talk about being diverse, but Bankers Trust is truly committed to mirroring and supporting our diverse communities.”
Lo Keongam, AVP – Assistant Manager, Bankers Trust East Branch
Des Moines Fellowship Program-Developing Talent for Today and Tomorrow
Bankers Trust has partnered with the Greater Des Moines Partnership and other companies to create the DSM Fellowship Program, a preeminent professional development initiative to attract, develop and retain a diverse community of top-tier graduates and early career professionals. The program allows participating companies the ability to enhance growth opportunities for their high-potential young professionals with a strong focus on diverse talent. Fellows have access to opportunities that accelerate their professional experiences and gain lasting connections that we hope will lead to a long-term career and impactful presence in the Des Moines community.
Diversify Des Moines Initiative
We’ve also partnered with the Federal Home Loan Bank and other companies on the Diversify DSM Initiative, a coalition of small and medium-sized financial services companies that are committed to helping increase diverse and female representation in the Des Moines community. As one of the fastest-growing cities in the Midwest and an unemployment rate among the lowest in the nation, our job market is on the rise — which means our community, as well as the financial services industry, is in need of top talent. Diversify DSM is committed to investing in the expansion of our workforce.
We’ve been recognized for our culture of inclusion by many local and regional organizations. Some of these accolades include:
- Four-time recipient of the Greater Des Moines Partnership’s Inclusion Award
- Chinese Association of Iowa’s Business Partner of the Year Award
- Better Business Bureau’s Integrity Award
- NAACP’s Merit Employer of the Year Award
- National Business Research Institute’s Circle of Excellence Award